.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's Opinions

  • 'Biggest Loser' challenge a good one

    Last September, I saw the ad in the CKNJ about the community wide "Biggest Loser" weight loss challenge. I had previously been in the Taylor Regional Hospital's weight loss contest in 2008 and had lost enough to win that challenge, so I knew if I could set my mind to it, I might be able to lose even more weight and possibly win this one also.

  • Great job, Taylor County!

    The community did a great job this year supporting the Salvation Army during the 2009 Christmas Kettle Campaign. Our community was generous in their giving, in their service to ringing the bells and in the services provided by many businesses.

  • Can you tell me why?

    My dear editor, I wish you a happy and prosperous new year. This year, would you tell us why we are in two wars on a credit? Tell us why we gave billions to the banking industry, and took the bread right out of our children's mouth to pay for it?

    Tell us why the world hates us in the last few years. Could it be that 80 percent of the voice in the United States is owned by four companies and the other 20 percent is owned by people like us?

  • Girl Scouts is more than just great cookies

    It's way more than just great cookies.

    Chartered by Congress in March 1950, Girl Scouts of the USA is the world's top organization dedicated solely to girls where all are accepted and nurtured and taught the skills to build character and reach success in the real world.

    With the help of committed adult volunteers, girls develop qualities that will serve them all their lives, like leadership, strong values, social conscience, and conviction about their own potential and self-worth.

  • Don't miss the next one!

    Wow. Sunday's meeting of the CKNJ Bookmarks reading group was the most interesting yet!

    And if you haven't yet joined, you're missing something.

    Our most recent meeting was Sunday at the Extension Office. Fifteen of us discussed the group's most recent book choice, "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy.

    It was interesting at Sunday's discussion to hear all the different opinions.

  • Say thanks to School Board members

    It's safe to say that local elected leaders have seldom faced a year like 2009, and the outlook for 2010 is equally challenging. The members of the Campbellsville Independent School District Board of Education have worked to preserve the District's ability to educate our children in the face of a massive state budget shortfall and tough economic times.

  • Nickel tax is small price to pay

    Many of you have heard discussion of a nickel levy that has been proposed for Taylor County. This levy is needed due to the current state of the buildings in the school district. The existing elementary school is in poor condition, the roofs leak at all three schools, and heating and air conditioning systems must be continually repaired. Classrooms are also becoming increasingly crowded as enrollment grows.

    We hope that you will support this and the construction and renovation of schools in the Taylor County School District.

  • Disagree with letter writer

    This letter is to reply to James R. DeWitt's letter to the editor concerning Taylor County Schools.

    I personally disagree with Mr. DeWitt's view of the status of the buildings in the Taylor County School District. I taught at the elementary for six years and have been principal at the Taylor County Middle School for 20 years.