Riot breaks out at detention center early Tuesday morning

-A A +A

Inmates involved were transferred to Marion County Jail

By The Staff



A riot at the Taylor County Detention Center involving 27 inmates occurred at around 1 a.m. Tuesday, but no inmates or detention center staff or law enforcement officers were injured during the incident, according to Taylor County Jailer Hack Marcum.

Marcum said damages were extensive enough that the 27 inmates in that particular part of the jail, Cell 217, had to be transported to the Marion County Detention Center early Tuesday morning.

Among the damages were some broken windows, a damaged door and some broken appliances, Marcum said.

The inmates will likely remain lodged in Marion County for two or three weeks, Marcum estimated, as repairs are made at the jail.

Marcum said jail staff is still unsure of what the cause of the incident was. He said there were some complaints about the brightness of lights. Marcum said he doubts that was really the issue.

Marcum said he received a call at around 1 a.m. Tuesday about the incident and arrived at the jail approximately 15 minutes later. Law enforcement officers from the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office, Campbellsville Police Department and units from Kentucky State Police were already on the scene when Marcum arrived.

He said he tried de-escalating the situation verbally and, when that didn’t work, law enforcement was forced to pepper spray several of the inmates in order to gain control of the situation.

Although Marcum reported 27 inmates being involved, a report from Kentucky State Police reported 37 inmates being involved. Several of the inmates in the cell, according to a KSP release, covered the security cameras and detached a steel bedframe from the floor and began using it and other objects to destroy the interior of the cell.

The inmates also used that bedframe in an attempt to breach a door leading into a hallway, but law enforcement officers were able to control the situation before that door was breached. Kentucky State Police said the wall around the door was broken, and the interior of the cell sustained “significant damage.”

The situation was under control in approximately 40 to 45 minutes, according to Marcum.

Trooper Dexter Colvin with Kentucky State Police is continuing the investigation into the incident and criminal charges are forthcoming, according to Kentucky State Police.