Cathy Pike was home with her youngest son, Devin, 8, when the alarm sounded. Her other son, 17-year-old Tyler, was not at home.
"I was sitting in the living room and the smoke detector went off," Pike said.
She got up to investigate, saw one of the rooms on fire, grabbed her son and left the house. She didn't have time to attempt to rescue any of her family's belongings.
"We lost everything."
Without an alarm, Campbellsville Fire Chief Allen Johnson said, it could have been worse.
"It definitely did alert them and help them get out," Johnson said.