- Special Sections
- Public Notices
This year's Relay for Life fundraiser is set to begin tomorrow at 8 p.m.
Jamaal Stiles is the chair of this year's event, which will be at the Taylor County High School track.
The theme is "Colors of Cancer," representing the many different colors that represent different types of cancer.
Stiles said bands Forgiven and Driven will perform, and there will be games for adults and children.
Opening ceremonies will begin at 8 p.m. The luminaria ceremony will be at 10 p.m.
Other special events will follow and are listed in a schedule of events with this story.
Stiles said 21 teams are registered to participate, and that number has increased from last year.
He said there hasn't been a lot of participation in Relay for Life for the past few years. This year's events are focused on rebuilding the event.
Stiles said the fundraising goal is about $40,000. As of last week, $23,000 has been raised toward that goal.
Money raised is given to the American Cancer Society to help pay for research, travel expenses and lodging for cancer patients.
Schedule of Events
Friday, June 22
• 6 p.m. - Wrist bands for inflatables available for $5.
• 7 to 7:45 p.m. - Survivor registration and meal, food and luminarias on sale.
• 8 p.m. - Opening ceremonies, faces of cancer speaker, introduction of survivors, survivor lap, caregivers lap, introduction of teams and teams lap.
• 9 p.m. - Laps begin, live music.
• 10 p.m. - Luminaria sales stop.
• 10:30 p.m. - Luminaria ceremony.
Saturday, June 23
• Midnight to 1 a.m. - Dance off.
• 1 to 2 a.m. - Relay for Life scavenger bingo.
• 2 to 3 a.m. - Bunco.
• 3 to 4 a.m. - Cornhole.
• 4 to 5 a.m. - Zumba.
• 5 to 6 a.m. - Board games.
• 6 to 7 a.m. - Breakfast bingo.
• 7 to 8 a.m. - Closing ceremonies with awards.