.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Mercury discovered at CHS

-A A +A
By James Roberts

A drop of mercury discovered at Campbellsville High School on Tuesday turned out to be of an insignificant level, according to an Environmental Protection Agency monitoring team.

According to a news release from the Campbellsville Independent School District, upon returning to class after a fire drill Tuesday afternoon, a student noticed what appeared to be a drop of mercury on the floor of a science classroom.

Teacher Richard Dooley covered the drop with sulfur powder and zinc and evacuated the classroom.

In addition to the EPA, Campbellsville/Taylor County Fire Department, Taylor County Emergency Management and Taylor County Haz-Mat were called to the scene.

EPA officials checked the room and the shoes of those who were in the room and found no significant levels outside of the room.

According to the release, the room will be cleaned by a hazardous materials cleaner before it is used again.

Mercury is a naturally occurring metal that can be found in thermometers, barometers, thermostats, dental offices, blood-pressure monitors and fluorescent light bulbs. Acute or chronic exposure to mercury can cause health issues.

Parents who have questions or want additional information can call the School District's office at 465-4162.