Man pleads guilty to violating registry terms

-A A +A
By Calen McKinney


A Campbellsville resident could receive probation for failing to abide by the terms of his sex offender registration.

Ronnie L. Ray, 30, of Peterson Street, was indicted by a Taylor County grand jury in February and charged with failure to comply with the terms of his sex offender registration and being a first-degree persistent felony offender.

Last Tuesday, Ray appeared before Taylor Circuit Court Judge Dan Kelly and pleaded guilty to failing to report an address change to the property authorities. The persistent felony offender charge was dismissed.

In exchange for his guilty plea, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney John Miller, who is prosecuting the case, has recommended that Ray be sentenced to three years' probation and ordered to comply with the terms of his registration.

Formal sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 2.

C.B. Bates of the Department of Public Advocacy in Columbia is representing Ray.

According to Ray's arrest citation, Campbellsville Police officers were dispatched on Feb. 6 to a home on Ray Street to investigate a possible domestic situation.

Court records state that Ray had been arguing with someone when a dog bit him. Ray was taken to Taylor Regional Hospital for treatment.

During the investigation of the domestic situation, officers spoke with Ray, who allegedly told them he had been living at the home on Ray Street for about three months, though his address on the registry was listed as South Court Street.

Records state he later told the officers that he hadn't been able to and hadn't had time to update his address.

According to the Kentucky State Police Sex Offender Registry, Ray is a 20-year registrant who has been convicted of third-degree sodomy of a 14-year-old.

The registry lists him as compliant with the terms of his registration and living at his Peterson Street address in Campbellsville, with a secondary home on Roland Street in Campbellsville.

If convicted by a jury, he could have been sentenced to as much as five years in prison.