Local couple killed in Adair crash

-A A +A
By Calen McKinney



They loved helping others, serving God and being together. And, last Friday, they spent the last moments of their lives that way.

John and Martha Boggs of Campbellsville died last Friday in a car crash in Columbia.

According to a Columbia Police Department report, officers responded to the scene of a crash at the intersection of KY 55 and Veterans Memorial Bypass.

Martha Boggs, 73, was driving a 2005 Dodge Neon east on the bypass and, according to the report, failed to stop at the intersection. The vehicle was struck in the passenger side by a 2005 Chevrolet 2500 truck being driven by Ed Grider, 66, of Columbia.

As a result of the crash, John Boggs, 64, a passenger in his wife's vehicle, was trapped inside the car. Columbia/Adair County Fire Department personnel were called to remove him from the vehicle.

The Boggses, Grider and his passengers, Florbel Monjuras, 31, and Hugo Vasquez Monjuras, 33, all of Adair County, were treated at the scene. Adair County EMS personnel transported them to Westlake Regional Hospital. At the time of the police report, Grider and his passengers were in stable condition.

Personnel from Adair County Coroner Todd Akin's office pronounced the Boggses deceased at the hospital's emergency room.

Columbia Police Officer Drew Conn and Sgt. Tracy McCarol are investigating the crash. Adair County Sheriff's Office deputies also responded to the scene.

Though routine toxicology tests are being performed, Akin said the cause of the Boggses' death was multiple blunt force injuries. He said Mr. Boggs likely died quickly after the crash, though his wife was breathing afterward.

The Boggses were wearing seat belts at the time of the crash, Akin said.

A joint memorial service for Mr. and Mrs. Boggs was Monday at Faith Baptist Church in Campbellsville, where they attended. The Boggses were cremated.

The Boggses met while Mr. Boggs was serving in the United States Air Force during Vietnam. They would have been married for 44 years on Tuesday. Last Sunday was Mr. Boggs's 64th birthday.

Mr. and Mrs. Boggs moved to Campbellsville about two years ago from Jackson, Ky., where they had lived for about 20 years.

Mr. Boggs was a retired reporter for the Times-Voice newspaper in Jackson. Before that, he worked in radio at WGRK in Greensburg and WJSN in Jackson for many years.

Betty Hardin, editor of the Times-Voice, said Mr. Boggs was an enthusiastic reporter who covered the courthouse beat.

"He loved talking to people and doing on-the-spot coverage of breaking news in Jackson," she said.

Mr. Boggs worked off and on with the newspapers in Jackson from the mid 1990s to about two years ago.

Mrs. Boggs was a homemaker and she and her husband worked for Market Force as secret shoppers.

The Boggses had a daughter, Jonneatha Boggs of Campbellsville; a son, Michael Lobb of Greensburg; three grandchildren, Kelly Wilhoit, Xay Fugate and Ziah Boggs, all of Campbellsville; and three great-grandchildren, Alexis Lobb, Ashley Wilhoit and Samantha Wilhoit, all of Campbellsville.

Michael Lobb said his mother and stepfather had kind hearts.

"She never met a stranger," he said. "She loved animals. She would stop on the side of the road to get a stray animal and take it home and do everything in the world to feed it.

"She was willing to help anybody ... a total stranger she would help," Michael said. "She was just a dear, kindhearted person. And John, you couldn't beat him either. John was A-No. 1."

Michael said his parents were about 10 years apart in age, but they loved each other immensely.

"They had been through a lot together," he said.

The Boggses were very devoted to each other and to God, according to Bro. David Wray, who pastors Faith Baptist Church.

"They both were people that took care of other people. They never turned anybody away."

Wray said he and members of his congregation are in shock about the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Boggs. Their memorial service was packed, he said.

"We had to get folding chairs. I'm telling you, people really loved them," he said. "I can't express how much they'll be missed."

Wray and Bro. Mark Driskell, pastor of Emmanuel Fellowship Church in Jackson, where the Boggses attended while they lived there, officiated the service.

Wray said Mr. and Mrs. Boggs were devoted to their family and church.

"When you saw them, you saw Christ," he said. "It's a hard thing to put my head around, but they're with the Lord."

Linda Judd of Greensburg, who is Mr. Boggs's sister, said her brother and his wife were very much in love from the time they met.

"He was a fabulous big brother," she said.

Since their father worked nights, Judd said, it was her brother who took her to fairs and the zoo.

"And he was that way with people," she said. "When someone was at their worst, that's when he and Martha were at their best."

Judd said she last saw her brother at his birthday celebration last weekend.

"We sat there probably two to three hours and talked," she said. "I have many fond memories to take with me."

Known for dressing in dress shirts and pants, tie and a cowboy hat, Judd said her brother always looked the part while he was working. Some of his best times, she said, were with his radio station family.

Judd said her brother and his wife lived in many places, from Louisville to Ohio to Greensburg to Jackson and most recently, Campbellsville.

While in Louisville, Mrs. Boggs was in a car crash that injured her face, jaw and wrist. Judd said her brother heard the crash and ran to help, not knowing that his wife was involved.

Mr. Boggs liked to pass out inspirational cards with Bible verses on them, Michael said, and his mother loved beauty pageants. She was a judge and coordinator, and his sister, Jonneatha, entered many with her mother's help.

Jonneatha said her parents adopted her when she was 4 days old.

"They're pretty much the only parents I ever knew," she said.

Jonneatha said her dad loved his job as a reporter, and also loved the time he spent in the Air Force. Her mother, she said, loved to sew and sold her handmade creations at local festivals.

"My mom and dad, they were doting grandparents," she said.

Her parents loved to read, Jonneatha said, and her mom loved to cook.

Jonneatha said she remembers the last time she spoke to her parents. It was Friday and they were heading to Columbia for a secret shopper job.

"My last words to them were, 'I'll see you when you get back,'" Jonneatha said. "I didn't even tell them I loved them, and I regret that.

"It's like, I don't know what I'm supposed to do now."

Though losing his parents has been hard, Michael said, he and his family members are coping with the loss as well as can be expected.

"All of this came unexpected," he said. "This is a phone call you wish nobody ever got."

Cowherd and Parrott Funeral Home in Greensburg was in charge of arrangements.

Obituaries for Mr. and Mrs. Boggs appear on Page A3 of today's issue.