Each year at this time, the editorial department at the News-Journal sends out more than a dozen letters, all of them pretty much alike.
Sounds kind of boring, huh?
Well, it's an important part of our job.
The letters are requests for notification of meetings and copies of information that our public officials are to consider at their meetings.
In the past, some public officials have questioned whether they must by law provide information to the media. We don't ask for the information just for the heck of it. We ask for it so that we can more completely and accurately inform the public - you - about how a particular agency is conducting the public's business.
When a request for records is made, whether it's by us or by anyone else, the agency involved has three days to respond - either by providing the requested information or by denying the request.
The newspaper has taken issue with local agencies on multiple occasions through the years. We've even had Attorney General's Opinions to back us up. When there is a dispute over the release of records, the state AG will issue a decision, which carries the force of law.
The reason we fight so hard to get this information is because we have an obligation to you - our readers, the obligation to see that your records and meetings are kept public, the obligation to provide you with the information you need to make decisions as responsible residents of Taylor County, and the obligation to get that information right.
Those are the reasons the News-Journal asks for this information and those are the reasons the newspaper has fought - and will continue to fight - to see that the public's business, meetings and records are public.
If you're concerned about how City or County government is run or what's going on in your children's school district, here's how to contact your local officials:
Taylor County Fiscal Court
- Judge/Executive Eddie Rogers 465-7729
- District 1 James Jones 789-2055
- District 2 John Gaines 465-6849
- District 3 Milford Lowe 465-7481
- District 4 Matt Pendleton 469-0327
- District 5 Ed Gorin 465-3739
- District 6 Richard Phillips 789-3753
Campbellsville City Council
- Mayor Brenda Allen 465-7011
- Jimmy Ewing 465-0181
- Vangie Ford 465-5947
- Mike Hall 465-4455
- Paul Harmon 572-4467
- Randall Herron 789-6861
- Sharon Hoskins 465-6331
- Richard Jeter 465-5552
- Terry Keltner 465-5315
- Stan McKinney 789-1860
- David Nunery 789-2466
- Patti Phillips 465-8394
- Sue Smith 465-5339
Taylor County School Board
- Superintendent Gary Seaborne 465-5371
- Chair Tony Davis 789-1787
- Member Bernie Cave 789-1489
- Member Jim Cheatham 465-7159
- Member Lillian Clark 465-6261
- Member Gary Porter 789-2973
Campbellsville Independent School Board
- Superintendent Diane Woods-Ayers 465-4162
- Chair Angie Johnson 789-1533
- Member Mitch Overstreet 465-3820
- Member Barkley Taylor 465-2059
- Member Pat Hall 469-6019
- Member Suzanne Wilson 465-4276