Former Campbellsville man pleads guilty in federal court

-A A +A
By Calen McKinney

The former Campbellsville man who lured an underage girl into sexual activity through his MySpace page has pleaded guilty to the crimes in federal court.

Timothy Scott Richerson of Greensburg pleaded guilty in United States District Court on Friday, July 11 before United States District Court Senior Judge Karl S. Forester.

Richerson was indicted in March on charges of using a computer to entice a minor to engage in sexual activity.

According to his plea agreement, Richerson, who was 39 at the time, began communicating with a 14-year-old girl during the summer of 2007 using an instant messenger software.

Richerson was a Campbellsville/Taylor County Rescue EMT until September 2007.

Campbellsville City Attorney John Bertram said last October that Richerson's departure from CTCR had nothing to do with the KSP investigation. The City, he said, had no knowledge of the alleged crime while Richerson worked for Rescue.

The agreement states that Richerson had two MySpace pages at the time, one of which listed him as a 16-year-old male. In addition to communicating online, the agreement states, Richerson and the girl met in person at a fair in western Kentucky. The two continued to chat online, however, with many of those chats being sexual in nature, the agreement states.

Court records state the two also communicated by text messages and phone calls. The girl told Richerson she was 14, records state, and he had sent her several explicit videos of himself.

The agreement states that Richerson traveled to the girl's home on Sept. 15, 2007, and the two went for a motorcycle ride and kissed. A week later, Richerson visited the girl again and the two had sexual contact.

After the second time the two met, the agreement states, the girl's mother became suspicious and found 40 sexually explicit text messages from Richerson on her daughter's cell phone.

The mother gave police her daughter's computer, and an examination of it revealed many of the sexual chats between the girl and Richerson.

After searching Richerson's home, police found computer equipment and several compact disks of pornographic videos, at least one of which contained images of child pornography. Later, other evidence found in Richerson's home was given to police, including a copy of printed directions to the girl's home, a condom and a picture of the girl from her school.

The plea agreement does not include a specific sentencing recommendation. Richerson faces a maximum sentence of life in prison. According to the agreement, Richerson waives the right to appeal his guilty plea and any prison sentence greater than 10 years.

The United States Attorney's Office and Commonwealth Attorney's office in Green and Madison counties have also agreed to not bring any additional charges against Richerson related to the evidence in the case.

However, the agreement states, any additional new evidence is not covered by Richerson's plea agreement.

Richerson was arrested last October as the result of an investigation by the Kentucky State Police's Electronic Crime/Internet Crimes Against Children task force. The investigation was conducted by the Richmond Police Department and the Kentucky State Police's Electronic Crimes Section, which houses the Regional Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.

The United States was represented in the case by Assistant U.S. Attorney Hydee R. Hawkins. The case was brought as part of the Eastern District of Kentucky's efforts pursuant to Project Safe Childhood, a Department of Justice initiative dedicated to protecting children from online exploitation and abuse.

Richerson will be sentenced on Friday, Oct. 3 at 9:30 a.m. in U.S. District Court in Lexington.

- Staff Writer Calen McKinney can be reached at 465-8111 Ext. 235 or by e-mail at reporter@cknj.com. Comment on this story at www.cknj.com.