FOL fire report months away

-A A +A

Water Co. estimates 1 million gallons of water used.

By Calen McKinney

Campbellsville's fire chief says he doesn't believe Tuesday's fire at the former Fruit of the Loom building was intentionally set, but a report of the official cause might be months away.

The east side of the building at the factory, which closed its doors in 1998, caught fire early Tuesday morning.

Campbellsville Fire Chief Allen Johnson said at a press conference last week that three explosions inside the building were confirmed.

Firefighters were dispatched to the scene after the E-911 Center received a call reporting the fire at 5:19 a.m., Johnson said. He said the callers reported loud explosions and debris falling on KY 55.

Johnson said heat might have caused the liquid in propane tanks stored in the building to boil, which could have caused the explosions.

On Thursday, Johnson said investigators have taken pictures of the damage and are working on finding the cause of the fire. He said he doesn't expect their report to be ready for at least a month or longer.

Johnson said he doesn't believe the fire was an act of arson.

"There's nothing that has pointed us to that at this point in time," he said.

The Campbellsville Water Co. has estimated that firefighters used 1 million gallons of water to fight the fire. Johnson said he believes that figure is a conservative estimate.

Johnson said he has heard the fire caused between $800,000 and $1 million in damages, though those figures are not yet official.

For more on this story, see Monday's print edition.