- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Ben Taylor Cox of Campbellsville was among the more than 2,800 winners of National Merit Scholarships financed by colleges and universities announced recently by National Merit Scholarship Corp.
A Taylor County High School graduate, Cox earned the National Merit University of Kentucky Scholarship. He is planning a career in medicine.
Officials of each sponsor college selected their scholarship winners from among finalists in the 2008 National Merit Scholarship Program who plan to attend their institution.
These awards provide between $500 and $2,000 annually for up to four years of undergraduate study at the institution financing the scholarship.
Another group of scholars will be announced in July, bringing the total number of college-sponsored Merit Scholarship recipients in the 2008 competition to about 4,600.
This year, 194 higher education institutions are underwriting Merit Scholarship awards through the National Merit Program. Sponsor colleges and universities include 115 private and 79 public institutions located in 43 states and the District of Columbia.
Cox, who was valedictorian of his class, also earned several other awards and honors throughout his high school career. Those awards and accomplishments include:
- Otis A. Singletary Scholarship recipient.
- Governor's Scholar Program participant.
- Robert C. Byrd Scholarship recipient.
- Wendy's High School Heisman state finalist.
- UK Honors Program.
- Centre College Fellow.
- University of Louisville Yarmuth Book Award winner.
- Taylor County High School representative for UK's 2006 Class of Kentucky - a program that recognizes Kentucky's outstanding sophomores.
- National Honor Roll Award recipient.
- Kentucky representative for 2007 National Young Leaders Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Nominated for Congressional Student Leadership Conference, All-American Scholar, Who's Who Among High School Students, National Society of High School Scholars and United States Achievement Academy's National Physical Education Award.
- Duke University Talent Search participant.
Cox was also named Mr. TCHS, was president of the TCHS Student Government Association, captain of TCHS Fellowship of Christian Athletes and was a two-year captain of football and basketball. He earned the Billy B Smith Leadership Award for 2007 football and 2007/2008 basketball seasons; was the 2006 and 2007 TCHS Fellowship of Christian Athletes' "Athlete of the Year;" 2007 5th Region Basketball All-Tournament selection; 2007 Football All-District team; 2008 20th District Basketball All-Tournament team; 2005-2008 20th District Basketball All-Academic Team and KHSAA Academic All-State 1st team (basketball and football).
In addition, Cox was a four-year member of the TCHS Show Choir, a 2005 participant in the Kentucky Music Educators Association All-State Chorus and a member of the 2006 4th District Chorus.
He is the son of Dr. Ben and Regina Cox of Campbellsville.