Completing FAFSA early can help with grants

-A A +A

Kentucky students who plan to attend an in-state college or university beginning in fall should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid as soon as possible after Jan. 1.

Filing early increases the student's chance of receiving a state need-based grant administered by the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority. The FAFSA is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Students attending Kentucky colleges and universities may qualify for College Access Program grants. To qualify, a student must show financial need and be enrolled for at least half time toward an associate's or bachelor's degree. The maximum CAP Grant award is currently $1,900 per year.

Students attending most of Kentucky's private colleges and universities may qualify for a CAP Grant and a Kentucky Tuition Grant. KTG awards are based on the same criteria as CAP Grants. The maximum KTG award is currently $2,964 per year.

Funding for CAP and KTG is limited, with awards made to qualifying students on a first-come, first-served basis. Award amounts may change based on available funding.

For more information about CAP and KTG, visit www.kheaa.com and click on Grant Programs for Kentucky Residents under Students and Parents or Adult Learners. Those interested may also e-mail grants@kheaa.com.

To learn how to plan and prepare for higher education, go to www.gotocollege.ky.gov. For more information about Kentucky scholarships and grants, visit www.kheaa.com; write KHEAA, P.O. Box 798, Frankfort, KY 40602-0798 or call (800) 928-8926 Ext. 6-7372.